Monday, August 20, 2012

People Watching is Cool - Darian Wilk, author of Reinventing Claire

Reinventing Claire
by Darian Wilk
August 20, 2012

People get divorced, but that's what happens to other people. That's what Claire thought anyway, until her husband, Charlie, tells her he wants a divorce.

Claire has no choice but to take on the title of Divorced Woman and face the question she has no idea how to answer. Who is Claire without Charlie? Her family believes her newly divorced woes can be cured by landing herself a boyfriend. With her dating dunce cap in hand, Claire stumbles her way through the foreign territory of online dating.

A teacher from hell, a softball coach, and a sap later, Claire proclaims herself the dating idiot she thought she was and fears she's doomed to be a lonely, crazy cat lady. But an accidental run-in with an old acquaintance might change everything. What starts with comparing dating battle wounds over a cup of coffee quickly turns into something Claire had given up on.

As Claire discovers maybe there is love after Charlie after all, Charlie realizes his mistake. He wants her back, and he'll do anything to prove it to her. Now Claire must choose who deserves her heart, and if she's really willing to give it away again.

Add on Goodreads.

People Watching is Cool
Guest Post by Darian Wilk

One of the most frequent questions readers ask me is not how I come up with ideas, but how do I create such realistic characters?  This is the part where I give the awe inspiring answer only a brainiac like me could come up with, which will send an explosion heard throughout the literary community… I must give credit to my stealthy, honed, people watching skills.  Wait for the writing world to erupt into applause…wait for it, wait for it…nothing yet?  Crap.  Guess I’m still stuck in the trenches…

The success I’ve had thus far comes from years of being a wallflower and watching, well, you.  People watching is cool.  Admit it, you like it too.  When you see that woman at the grocery store, in a Superman t-shirt, yellow shorts, and her worn out Kermit slippers – you’re staring too.  People watching is not only highly enjoyable, for me it’s also apart of work.  It’s part of my research.  Thus giving me a justifiable excuse to continue staring – I’m working by staring.

Often times I can’t hear the conversation between the cashier and the woman in the Superman shirt, and I don’t really care what they’re talking about.  Dialogue fitting to a character comes naturally when they behave as they should.  I want to see their movements, their reactions, and expressions.  People watching is how I’ve learned the subtleties of people, which I pour into my characters and is what hopefully gives them that realistic flare.  For example, what’s an easy way to spot a couple on their first date at a restaurant?  It’s not the flirtatious smile, or how attentive he seems.  The giveaway?  A woman always has perfect posture on first dates.  The established couple?  She’s slouching and checking Facebook on her phone.

While it may look like I’m just staring at someone for a random reason, I’m actually learning.  I’m studying the traits of real people, to create real people.  I’m learning how a woman reacts to back-handed compliments from her mother-in-law, how a frustrated mom quiets her kids at the mall, and how people react when they run into someone they hoped to avoid. 

A writer could drown in the advice of proper ways to create realistic characters.  Everyone is an expert, or has proclaimed themselves one.  But for me, if my characters feel as if they come to life on the page, it’s not from the hundreds of articles or books I’ve read, it’s credited to watching real people.  So you never know, maybe the next time you wear your Kermit slippers to the store, I’ll be studying you, and you’ll end up in my book. 

About Darian Wilk:
I'm a women's fiction writer, author of Love Unfinished and Reinventing Claire. I love the challenge and thrill of putting words onto paper, and forming it into a story. For me, the only thing better than that are my kids.

On the occasions I'm not engulfed in writing, you'll find me reading a book, either for fun or for review on my blog, Crazy Lady with a Pen. When I'm not reading, I'm spending time with my friends and family. Life is too short to pass those beautiful little moments life has to offer by, I want to soak up every moment I can.

For more information about me, my books, reviews, or my blog, please visit my website, www.DarianWilk.weebly.com. You can also find Darian on Twitter and Facebook. (And occasionally as a reviewer on Krazy Book Lady!)

Darian's first novel, Love Unfinished, is FREE on Amazon August 20-24th. Get your copy now! And check out the new cover. That's my quote!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs With Pictures from Pinkparis1233
Use Your Imagination Designs