Guest post by Patti Larsen, author of Family Magic (Book One of The Hayle Coven novels)
Just Who is Sydlynn Hayle, Anyway?
Family Magic was the first book I wrote in the YA paranormal genre and to this day, three years later, she and I share a special bond--partly because I adore her so much and partly because she just won’t leave me alone!
So in honor of her and the impact she’s had on my life, I’d love to share some fun facts about her and Family Magic:
• The idea came to me when Syd woke me in the middle of the night, her voice telling me I’d better get up and write down what she had to say and nagged me until I did.
• There were originally only five books in the series. But when I was in the middle of writing book two, Syd happily informed me there was so much more to her story than could be covered in just five. Imagine. The count is currently up to 16 and may hit 20.
• Each book is part of a quadrilogy--four books per section--so the first quadrilogy is now out! (Family Magic, Witch Hunt, Demon Child and The Wild)
• Syd is half witch, half demon. Her mother leads her coven and her father is a Demon Lord. (but a nice one :-) )
• She has a crazy grandmother named Ethpeal who can only be controlled with chocolate and tequila.
• Syd’s Uncle Frank is a vampire who lives in the basement with his undead girlfriend, Sunny. Rather than coffins, they sleep in cupboards so they don’t creep out the family.
• Her little sister Meira looks like a demon, but she’s okay with that. It makes Syd jealous sometimes that Meira is so comfortable with who she is.
• Syd’s closest confidant is a snarky silver Persian named Sassafras, a demon boy trapped in a fat cat body.
• She basically has two moms--her real one and her mother’s best friend, Erica, who tries her best to control Syd’s life.
• Syd’s least favorite school subject is English, but only because her teacher has it in for her.
• She loves chocolate and anything junk foodie she can get her hands on, especially when she’s lonely and stressed.
• Syd’s favorite sport is soccer and she’s a kick-ass player.
• She would choose ponytails and jeans over dressing up any day.
• Syd has the BIGGEST crush on Brad Peters, the captain of the football team, and when she sees him she can barely talk.
• Even though she’s being bullied, she can’t use her magic to protect herself, not that she’d want to. Not only does it make her nauseated when she casts spells, it’s against coven laws. Sucks, right?
• Syd has never had a best friend. Ever.
• Her only desire in life, the only thing that would make her happy, is if she could be ordinary, normal and just like everyone else.
Syd’s life and evolution, in a nutshell. Best way to find out more? Check out Family Magic, of course! Happy reading!
About the Author:
Patti Larsen is a middle grade, young adult and adult author with a passion for the paranormal. Her YA thriller series, The Hunted, is available now. The first four books of The Hayle Coven series, Family Magic, Witch Hunt, Demon Child and The Wild are out now. Her YA paranormal novel, Best Friends Forever, and steampunk series, Blood and Gold, are due early in 2012. She is a full time writer and a part time teacher of her Get Your Book Done program. Patti lives on the East Coast of Canada with her very patient husband and four massive cats.
You can find Patti Larsen on her site, Twitter, and Facebook.